Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Getting Ready!!

Scenario: The family has eaten dinner, the kids are bathed and in bed. The house is quiet.

This is the time where I find myself faced with many options. Do I watch television? Do I go to bed? Phone a friend? Read a book? Pray? Get started on that night time love fest with my husband? What to do?

When someone text me or calls me after 8 and ask "what are you doing?" I usually reply "getting ready for bed".

I laugh at this even as I write because "getting ready for bed" usually means I am going to put that last load in the dryer, wipe down the counter, sweep the floor, check facebook, take a shower, tell my husband about the 50 million things I read on facebook, and then actually go to bed. Finally I get in the bed and I am still making mental list of what needs to happen the next day, what we will eat for breakfast, and who I need to call until I drift off to sleep.

This my friends is going to stop. I am going to start being very serious about my getting ready to go to bed. I will include maybe a hot a bath, some nice soothing quiet time, and definitely that love fest with my husband. I am going to stop treating my list of things to do at night as things I need to do in order to go to bed and actually enjoy the quiet stillness of night time. The time where the kids are down and I can enjoy the house.

What does your "getting ready for bed" look like and how can you make it more peaceful if it is not already?

No comments:

Post a Comment